Money Woes Mean Some Changes

Gotta love this guy’s approach… I love
the “Back to the Future” reference!

They say “Time is money”…  It seems like there is never enough of either!  My situation is not quite as bad as for this poor fella but things could be better.  I’m in the midst of a money drought.

This pic made me think of a sign I could use if panhandling…  “I live in a van.  Too FAT for food.  Need gas money!”  That idea will be filed away in case it’s needed…

=============================================================

It’s been a tough year for me physically, emotionally, and financially.  When Dad’s health went to heck, I got stressed out and fell off the weight loss track but that was my own failing.  For that reason, the “Weight Loss Challenge” is on hold for now.  (I forwarded the contributions to the ADA but if a contributor requested his / her money refunded, I will cover it myself.)  The goal is just getting back to where I was at this time last year.

=============================================================

The finances have taken a pretty good beating along the way, too.  Had the railroad van driving job not dried up, I’d be sitting pretty.  But right now the reserves are dwindling and it’s time to think of some alternative ways to make money before the bottom falls out…

Well, here goes the big announcement… I am going to move this page.

The format will change a little – there are always tweaks to be made.  I also plan to “monetize” it a bit but will try to keep the appearance pretty clean and easy to read.  All of the old posts are already in the other domain – it was easy.  There are some tweaks that need to take place.  I will post the link to the new page.  The last post here will be a reference to the new location.  Then there will likely be a “redirect” page to the new location.

=============================================================

There are other plans in the works, too.  I’ve been working on a pet project – an ebook – to put on Amazon.  Writing it is taking a lot of time, but it’s a labor of love and a dream.  I hope to finish it by fall.  It will be a cookbook with some of my own recipes as well as a few that Mom and Dad have enjoyed over the years.  The cost will be quite low.

Why an e-book?  I’m inspired by people like Bob Wells (CheapRVLivingForum.com) who wrote a fantastic e-book on vandwelling.  His work is practically a “must read” for those of us who live in vehicles.

Another person who has influenced my path and helped with the motivation to start earning extra money is John Abert of Az Grand Marketing.  (www.azgrand.com) .  He has been a patient mentor who has offered helpful suggestions on how to monetize this blog a little and help build a little residual income.

There is more good news.  I also had a couple of recent job interviews this last week.  Both are for full time jobs within a mile of the van’s resting place at Dad’s house.  Both are types of work that I would enjoy doing.  Thinking optimistically, things are going to work out.  Life has been too happy the last couple of years to turn back now!

=============================================================

Thanks for following along during this exciting journey.  Hopefully there will be some good news this week.  Take care!

—  Bradford, the “Van Trekker”

12 Responses to Money Woes Mean Some Changes

1. Andrea says:

Brad,

I believe you will be shut down by Blogger if you post Amazon ads. You need to get and pay for your own website if you advertise.

Blogger shut down RV Sue until she paid and got her own website.

Check it out……Andrea in Minnesota

2. Andrea says:

Oops…she originally had WordPress but I read Blogger does the same.

3. Daily Good says:

Keep your spirits up Brad, things will get better. I think the ebook is a wonderful idea, and you should do really well with that. Keep us posted on how it goes, so we can order a copy when it comes out. I have a suggestion that worked for me, to turn my money situation around that you might look into. I started listening to the audio tape “Attract Money Now” put out by Joe Vitale, and it made a huge difference to me. Ideas for creating money just poured in, and I soon found myself on much solider footing financially. I found the audio book at my local library, and just kept checking it out, but you can purchase it from Joe Vitale’s website too. The tape helps you in so many ways to get past your money blocks, and the ideas it contains are a very spiritual and loving way to live also, and not just all about more money. In any case, I wish you well!

Brad, when you said “ads” you meant AdSense, didn’t you? The little ads that change periodically? AdSense is allowed on Blogger; they’re both owned by Google and there’s even a way to put the ads in your layout (check under “Earnings”). You have to get an account first and as I haven’t done that yet I don’t know the process but you could look into it.

I was also going to suggest signing up for Amazon Associates. That’s not the same as writing an ebook for them, it’s an affiliate program where you get a commission if someone clicks on a link that has your affiliate code in it. It’s a fairly small percentage but I think it can add up, especially if your readers – and I know you have a few 🙂 – know about it; they click on your links and *anything* they buy there gets you a commission. There are other full-timers using it (Bob definitely is, he has links in his current post; RVSue is too, I think).

I’m not positive about this but I believe affiliate links are also allowed in Blogspot blogs. If they aren’t I have one last suggestion and that’s to register your own domain and have Blogger host it. The registration isn’t free but it’s not much, less than $15 for a year, and Blogger will host it for free so you don’t have a monthly expense. I’m doing this with kimadagem.com and so far it’s working fine. There was a bit of setup involved which being a newbie I had trouble with but I think if I’d known what I was doing it would have taken less than 5 minutes. Since you already have a blog here I think it would probably be even simpler.

I hope that helps.

P.S. If you do set up AdSense – please, PLEASE make sure your readers know not to try to “help you out” by clicking on lots of ads. This is against the Terms of Service and when (not if) Google finds out they will ban you (from AdSense, not your blog).

Brad, I’m on WordPress so know nothing about Blogger. But Meg is right. Blogger does allow Adsense, I believe. I think that’s how Tioga George started out before he got his own domain.

Anyway, I’m wishing you all the best and trusting that the money side of things will work out for you. 🙂

• Brad says:

I just set up wordpress on server space. It’s pretty easy to do. The content is moved over and tweaking is taking place. The type of program I am looking at needs to be on a different domain.

6. Dragonfly says:

I wouldn’t mind the ads. We all do what we have to do.

7. Pat says:

I’ll click on your ads. I always do when I read blogs with good content. It’s a way to thank the author of the blog and some of the ads are what I’m looking for anyway.