Great News – Working From Home!

Work From Home

I can live with this dress code!

Hello and welcome!  I got the new job!

The company I will be working for has been around for over a hundred years.  Like dozens of corporations, this one is allowing people to work from home in their own offices (or in this case, an office in Dad’s house) to do customer service work.  It is basically like being in a call center without leaving the house or having people watching over your back.  The pay?  It’s a very hefty increase from what was made at the gas station.

I can see a number of benefits to this arrangement:  no dress code, not having to spend money eating out, and no commuting costs.  The desk chair will be comfortable and the bathroom is nearby.  There won’t be the agony of having to work on one’s feet with no rest breaks.  As long as the kitties are in another room, there won’t be distractions to contend with.  One more benefit is that I can keep working on the cookbook project, even testing out some oven and slow cooker recipes while working, too!

This kind of job is not for everyone.  A person has to be disciplined and self-motivated.  There is still a work schedule to follow.  Angry customers can make things stressful.  But this is doable.  Long hours at a computer are nothing new.  For three years I had worked at home to earn a Bachelor’s degree online (University of Phoenix).  I’ve also worked in a call center before.  This should be familiar territory.

Star-Trek-RingBy the way, here’s a cool story from the hiring process.  Remember the Star Trek ring?  I wear it on special occasions.  It turned out that the manager I interviewed with is a Star Trek fan and so are some of the people on his team.  There were Star Trek references around the cubicles.  As we spoke, I showed him the Star Trek ring worn on my finger for good luck.  Of course, he liked it.  What were the odds of interviewing with that particular “trekker”?  About 1 in 9, actually.

So what will happen to camping in the van and traveling around?  It will still occur but the work schedule will surely cut into the leisure time a bit.  That’s okay – the fiscal scale has tipped the other way and money is needed right now.  Camping and van upgrades will still occur, including the purchase of a Dometic fridge for Christmas.

I’m keeping the fingers crossed that this job will work out.  Why?  I learned that the work-from-home position from this company only requires that it happen somewhere in Iowa. For those who read the blog frequently, that means that someday when I am able to move to Decorah – trout country – there might just be a well paying job to go along!

Thanks for riding along.  Take care!

Bradford, the “Van Trekker”

11 Responses to Great News – Working From Home!

1. Steven says:

Congrats! My former employer has a fairly liberal work from home policy. It’s a total godsend when you need to be around the homestead for any number of reasons but can still work. Congrats again!

Thanks! I’m really excited. The cable TV folks are going to put high speed (30 meg download) Internet into the house tomorrow and set it up with a secure wifi router for van based surfing.

The company I will be working for is a high-end retailer that’s been around a long time. It is 100% legit. It’s not one of those schemes on the ‘net. I don’t want to mention the name of the company but it’s one everyone has heard of… and in a good way!

2. Tinycamper says:

That’s awesome new, Brad! Congratulations and good luck!

3. Todd says:

I am really happy for you Brad. Way to go!

This is great news, Brad – I’m so happy for you. I looked into something like this a few years ago and didn’t have the right setup, which unfortunately is still true; my wireless modem is not all that fast – or reliable – and has a monthly limit. But you have a house to work from, which is a real blessing, and this kind of job sounds like it might be more long-term than the others you’ve had, which is wonderful (even if it’s seasonal they could still keep you on; my last retail job did that). I’m glad you found it.

(P.S. That ring is gorgeous. If I wore rings I’d want one. 🙂 )

Thanks Meg. I’m really hoping it all works out. The new employer is usually in the top 100 of companies to work for. They have some pretty strict guidelines about the needed speed so I got carried and ordered 50 MB download speeds and a 2,000 GB limit on the data. Working from the house is a true blessing… even more so is that if I someday want to move to “trout country” up north, I can take the job with… That’s awesome!

Thanks for the note about the ring. It brings a lot of warm feelings because it was something I bought with Mom’s money and has a special meaning. It was a stroke of luck to have been wearing it during the interview with a fellow “trekker”. 🙂

But BRAD

if you tell us their name we can all start ordering our outdoor equipment & guns from you :-))

Jerry

6. Mark says:

You scored big time with the call center job. Do you have photos of the inside of your van?

Are you a fly fisherman? We want to learn how to fly fish.

Hi Mark. Thanks for the note! There is a tab on the main page of my blog regarding the van. There are a number of pictures of it. Take care! — VT

Actually, I don’t fish with flies… Some day, maybe… Most of the places I fish have a lot of trees nearby. I’d likely snag the trees (and do often enough). 🙂