Dad Is in Heaven Now

Dad at Balltown3

Dad enjoying dinner at a favorite restaurant in Hill Country near Dubuque, Iowa

Dear Blog Friends,

Dad died this morning around 2:00 AM of natural causes.  His breathing had been weak lately.  The nurses gave him oxygen for the last couple of days but it didn’t help much.  I could see and feel that the life force was slipping from him.  Dad told people he knew, “I am going to Heaven pretty soon.”

And he did just that!

Dad and God are together now.  It’s going to be quiet this holiday season.  My closest friends – more like family – and I are going to be hanging out for Thanksgiving. Add another pound or two to the belt.

Here is some good news.  Much to my surprise, I got a call from work and they are going to wait for me to return and will help me get back on board.  I sure lucked out… Then again, this new job is working for one of the top rated employers in the country.

I’m sure going to miss Dad a lot!  He was awesome!  I thank God for giving Sis and I so many extra days to be with him right up until the end.  He’s in a better place now.

Take care.

Bradford, Serena, and Jesse James

19 Responses to Dad Is in Heaven Now

1. Nancy says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. It’s hard to see them slipping away, but it’s a relief when they no longer have to struggle for every breath. You were lucky to be able to grieve his passing while he was fading. It will make this time easier for you to deal with his loss. I was always grateful that I had that time with both of my parents. My thoughts are with you.

Thank you for the kind words, Nancy. I had a lot of great conversations with Dad recently. I tried to visit him every day and talked to him two or three times a day by phone. It’s sad I could not have said good-bye but he was lucky enough to go in his sleep – I woudn’t want to keep him from such a gentle departure. He knows I love him and will miss him very much. Thank again. 🙂

2. So sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. Our condolences go out to you and your family. Travel safe.

Hi Brad

So very sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. My condolences to you & your sister. I’m hoping that you and your sister can somehow keep the house or that something better will work out for both of you. I know you mentioned that the house now was also your place of work. Yesterday I had to get some new “larger” pants – so now I need to skip Thanks giving and Christmas or my next call will be to Barnum & Bailey tent makers for my next larger pants & shirt 🙁

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Things are becoming a little clearer. I know we’ll keep the house till spring. The plan is to do the work from home thing. Eventually the house will be sold and there is no reason to stay in Cedar Rapids. It is likely that I will buy an older mobile home up in NE Iowa near the favorite stomping grounds. The job can go with me – as long as I’m in Iowa, they will permit “work from home” anywhere with a fast Internet connection. We’ll see how that all goes… Thanks for the kind wishes.

4. Steven says:

Brad, my condolences on the passing of your father.

Brad, I am so sorry for your loss. But so glad your Dad had a peaceful passing and was certain of where he was going.

I think of all the fish and goodies you took to him. From this perspective, it almost looks like you were laying up treasure in heaven. 🙂

God bless you and your family.

And the news about your job is great!

Thank you for the warm thoughts. I wish I’d been able to do more for Dad. He didn’t care for the nursing home but then again, who does? At least he had a lot of time he could spend with his family – something nobody could take away. His presence made the birthday a couple of weeks ago all the more special. I’ll miss him a lot.

Sad to hear about the passing of your Dad. But, as you said, he is in a better place now. Hope you have a comforting time with your friends during the holidays. Take care.

Thanks much. It will be good to be around people. I can’t wait to spend some time with my lady friend and her kids. We always have a lot of fun… Take care!

Hi Brad,
    After your last post I thought this might be coming… Still, it’s a shame it had to happen so close to Thanksgiving. I went to a funeral today myself; one of my cousins passed away last weekend after many illnesses. I wasn’t close to my extended family but I still feel bad for his family, as I do for you.

Nursing homes are not for everyone. My grandfather tried very hard to be independent; once it was obvious he couldn’t be anymore, and went into a nursing home, he lived only another year or so. My mother, on the other hand, is coming up on 5 years; I think she really likes it there (she has always liked socializing with people and now gets so much more of that than she did at the house).

Your father is at peace now. Regardless of how his final days went I think he was grateful for the care he got – from the nursing home staff *and* from his son. Your loyalty was obvious even in these blog posts. I wish you as much peace and happiness as you can manage at this time, and of course a lovely holiday.

Thanks for the kind words Meg. Dad went so peacefully and with dignity. I took a picture after his passing and he looked like he was dozing. Dad and I had so many great times together in the last few weeks.

God blessed our family even at this time of loss. After watching Dad decline, serving as his “power of attorney”, and now “executor”, I believe and trust in God more than ever. Many times I prayed and asked Him for wisdom and guidance because it seemed like this was over my head. Some of the decisions were tough but it all worked out very well. Praise God!

8. Todd says:

My sympathies, Brad

9. Pat says:

It’s nice to know your dad went peacefully. I’m sure you’ll miss him, but it sounds like you have many fine memories of him. Take care.