When it Snows, Make Ice Cream!

1_Snow Ice Cream

Snow, a little coffee creamer, Splenda packets, vanilla, and voila… ICE CREAM!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by!  This fun little treat was made tonight for just pennies.  To a person eating healthy “rabbit food,” some ice cream (more like ice milk) is a real indulgence.  Thankfully, it was fairly low in carbs and with moderate fat!  That little red swirl is strawberry preserves (packets snitched from a restaurant).  The ice cream recipe will follow at the bottom of the post.

Fort Dodge AreaWhy the snow ice cream tonight?  It’s going to be one of the treats enjoyed on the next camping trip.  I’m making preparations to do some van camping and ice fishing up north in the Fort Dodge, Iowa area.  If ice fishing isn’t cool enough, there are some new places to visit including a celebration at the birthplace of a famous actor who was once a household name.

Butterfly OmeletNow that we’re past the -24 degree cold blast, it is time to go out and have a little fun and get some fresh air.  Even the doctor agrees that any kind of activity – even trudging around in heavy boots in snow – is good for a person.  When we met today, the diabetes doc was pleased with the progress; weight is being shed and I’m feeling a lot better.

As part of a healthier intake, I made this cute little butterfly frittata the other day for breakfast.  It contained less than 3 grams of fat and was made with Egg Beaters. Last year stress and eating helped me gain a lot of weight.  That same love for good food is helping in the reverse direction, too.  By the way, that antique flowered plate is one of Dad’s antique dishes.  Even a minimalist needs a few things with sentimental value.

For now, it’s back to getting the van ready for the trip.  With a little luck, there should be some interesting pictures to post on the blog toward the end of the weekend – likely on Sunday night.

Here is that snow ice cream…  No joke!  Just don’t use the yellow snow!  It’s not lemon flavored.

Low Carb Snow Ice Cream

5 cups fresh, powdery snow
6 packets of Splenda (or 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
2 t real vanilla extract
1/3 cup half-n-half

Stir ins:  Chocolate syrup, nuts, crushed Heath bar, preserves

Gather the snow and put in a large bowl.  Stir in the half ‘n’ half and, if necessary, add more snow until the consistency is as desired.  Then stir in any mix ins and eat at once.  Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great weekend!

Bradford, the “Van Trekker”

6 Responses to When it Snows, Make Ice Cream!

1. Carla says:

Maybe you should write a new kind of cookbook called something like “Camp Cooking for Diabetics.” 🙂

I’m working on some diabetic recipes for a downsized cookbook or recipe collection. It’s fun to cook something new – even if it is healthy 😀

That’s a pleasure we don’t get very often, Brad. Nice, powdery snow. But the next time we do, ice cream is on the menu.

I’m so glad your health is improving and you are managing to lose some weight.

I try to take nothing I don’t absolutely need in the Casita. But I take a couple of beautiful rose motif coffee mugs and pretty plates because everyone needs a little beauty to brighten their living space. And yours is a double treasure because of the sentimental value.

The frittata is so cute. Isn’t it fun to play while cooking?

Looking forward to reading about your snow-scapades. 🙂

I agree with you about only taking what you need. Today I was packing the van for the fishing trip the next few days. Nothing got packed! I was busy unpacking stuff! Less is more, so to speak. I’ve done the foam plates thing but food is more appealing on a pretty plate. It seems easier to consume a modest portion on a smaller dish! Take care! 🙂

Thanks for the recipe, Brad. I remember making “snow cream” when I lived here in PA the *first* time (in the 70s) but the recipe is long gone. I was thinking about it the other day while shoveling the latest mess (the fluffy stuff in Denver is so much easier) and actually had the thought that I should look it up online, but promptly forgot to do that. Now I don’t have to!

There is no snow on the ground currently to make this with but I’m sure that’ll change 🙂 so I’m looking forward to trying it.

P.S. Is your diabetic doc OK with using Splenda? I use it myself to save calories and have noticed the packets have sugar (dextrose, I think) in them. (The granulated doesn’t but it doesn’t taste the same.)

My doctor is cool with Splenda but cautioned me not to get too accustomed to having a sweet tooth. He feels (and I agree) that it makes a person hungry for other sweets or calorie dense food. The doc said that dreaded word – moderation. I’m glad you can have some fun with the snow ice cream. I might try it with some chopped up cherries or perhaps crushed pineapple. mmmm. 🙂 Thanks for the comment.