The New Living Space

Highland 8

Serena likes the trailer… and is taking it over.

Hello and thanks for stopping by!

I’m now living in the recent acquisition though most of the belongings are not yet moved in.  It’s such a blessing compared to what I had been occupying.  Many nights have been spent in the van – sometimes as the only place to live – and there will be good times enjoyed in the future, too…

As I told some friends on Facebook, I used to own a mobile home and furniture that were disposed of when Mom died and Dad’s health began to slip.  Everything has now been replaced with as good if not better stuff than I had to begin with.

A good friend of mine – a minimalist – mentioned the ample living space.  He prefers tiny spaces.  Others have said things like “A single wide trailer is too small.”  It’s all relative.

Highland 4Everything you see in these pictures came as part of the purchase!  The spacious master bedroom is connected to a full sized walk-in shower.

The front bedroom is an office / storage area (for items yet to be unpacked).  The middle bedroom will be for guests and will contain a kitty condo and food/water for Jesse and Serena.

Wednesday was the official possession date. There isn’t much in there right now but the old owners, an elderly couple, left it pretty well furnished.  A leather loveseat, motorized recliner, kitchen set, two new beds, washer and dryer, etc. were all included.

Highland 1It’s going to get interesting as some ideas take shape.  Right away, I am thinking about hiding an amplified RV television antenna in the roof of the carport to get some free TV.

The van will be parked under the carport and will receive a good repainting inside.  There are some new areas to explore for camping including a cool county park less than ten miles away.

The plan is to have a open house / housewarming party and, if that comes to pass, there will be pictures of some of the fun, friendly co-workers.

Pink bathroom

The pink bathroom needs repainted! 🙂

So far Serena has been taking the adjustment very well.  After moving in she had been making loud “super meow” sounds – the kind that sounded like she was sick.  I was worried but then realized it was her expressing happiness – she’s been purring almost constantly and she seems to be very happy with the new arrangement.  I was concerned about her and the dangers presented by living on the farm.  No more worries!

In a few days there will be more stuffed moved in.  Then it’s off to Minnesota to retrieve Jesse James.  But the return trip passes right through Decorah, Iowa…

It’s all but certain some fish may come back!

Thanks for stopping by today.  Take care!

Brad and Serena in eastern Iowa

13 Responses to The New Living Space

1. 1vikinggirl says:

Congratulatons and happy homecoming!!
    Greetings from Amsterdam

2. Veronica says:

So happy for you! Good things happen to good people….it is a beautiful home….you can always travel as you feel like it since you don’t have a big mortgage hanging over you…..

I really enjoy your blog and have followed your life adventure for some time. It is time things went well for you and you get to enjoy life a little more…..take care and again, congratulations….you have earned it and deserve all the good things that are coming your way.

Thanks Veronica! It’s the best of both worlds… a place to come home to but a nice location from which to travel, camp, and fish. Thanks for following along. It’s been a bumpy couple of years but all smoothed out when I started being grateful for blessings and looking positively at each challenge. Take care!

3. Sunday says:

Just beautiful!! I think you made a very wise decision to purchase!! Enjoy the next stage in your life!!

Thank you! It’s comfortable, the cat loves it, and the neighborhood is safe. I wish Dad were here to see it but I think he’d be very happy. He always liked a good bargain! Thanks for the kind words!

The new place is beautiful, Brad. And I’m so glad Serena is letting you live there with her. 😉

Thanks Meg! Serena is taking over… She loves in linoleum flooring and stretches out on it. She’s also climbing all over the tops of everything she can find. It’s new territory to explore. 🙂

5. Sunday says:

He would be happy I am sure…..

6. Tina says:

Hi Brad,

Wow that place looks so nice. I’m very happy for you.

Tina

Brad, what a great place. I live in a manufactured home too the same size. Why would anyone tell you it’s to small. How much room do we need anyway. I wish you much happyness in your new home. And the deck is just the icing on the cake.
    Wishing you many happy years in your new home

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the kind words! The place feels so big compared with the van.

I was thrilled last night when the van fit under the carport in its present configuration (but with one mirror folded in). I can plug it in to shore power this winter. There was a bunch of cleaning that happened last night and I’m going to repaint the inside of the vandwelling. Funny enough, I really want to sleep in the van tonight! Take care and thanks again for the well wishes. 🙂