Ever Had a Hurts Donut?

Hurts Donut2

A portion of the many varitieties of donuts at this amazing bakery in Coralville, Iowa.

Hello and welcome to the blog today.  When I was growing up, the school kids (usually a grade or so ahead) would often approach a younger lad and say “Ever had a hurtsdon’it?”  If you asked “What’s a hurtsdon’it?” you would get slugged in the arm (often with a knuckle or two) and the aggressor would say “It hurts, don’t it?”  A time or two getting punched and you would remember!  Nowadays they would call that bullying and the perpetrator would probably be suspended from school.  Back then you simply aborbed the pain and later pulled the same trick on a smaller kid…

Hurts Donut Building

Open “25 hours a day, 8 days a week” it’s worth a spike in blood sugars.  That’s the only part that hurts!

The pictures you see above are from a relatively new bakery in Coralville, Iowa (next to Iowa City).  The shop is called “Hurts Donut Company”.  Their variety of lovely donuts is stunning and vast; the pastries are decadently rich.  I stopped and bought a few for comfort food.  It’s been very stressful recently.

Jennifer became very ill earlier this week.  She’d slipped outside at one point in the windy, cold, and slushy mess we call Iowa weather.  She was not outside for very long but soon came down sick and was sneezing.  For a couple of days, I could not get Jen-Jen to eat or drink much at all.  This week’s camping trip was canceled and I spent hours on the floor next to her under the coffee table. She was warm, trembled, and seemed very weak and a little confused… likely due to a fever.

Jesse and Jen-Jen under the coffee table

Instead of going camping on Thursday, I took the van into Cedar Rapids (a 50 mile round trip) to get her some of the favorite catfood, a brand called “Simply Nourish”.  She loves the “Crab and Duck Stew”.  It smells so good, I’m half tempted to put a couple cans over a glob of mashed potatoes!  She slowly started eating again.  While she felt warm, I rubbed her down with small amounts of water and Jennifer loved it.  Jesse also groomed her almost constantly.  To get her drinking again it took a little nursing with water and … voila!  She seemed to do better.  At the time of the posting, she’s feeling pretty weak again and Jesse and I are watching over her.

Christmas Border2a

After tending to the sick kitty on Thursday, I went to a rural shooting range and did some “plinking” with a recently acquired carry-type pistol.  I’d never shot a pistol since getting bifocal glasses and it took some getting used to.  Target practicing will be one more fun activity to do when camping in the boonies.  I am in the process of designing a collapsible target stand to take along on future trips.  It should be very simple, handy, and highly portable.  More about that in the coming days!

Christmas Border2a

Kabobs Pic

Here’s the food that had been planned for camping.  I made kabobs with chicken, sweet peppers, green peppers, onions, and pineapple… and soaked them in a  50-50 mix of pineapple juice and teriyaki sauce.  They were grilled in the house on the little Coleman propane grill.  Jesse loved the chicken but then again there’s not a lot he doesn’t like!

Well, it’s time to check on the sick kitty.  There will always be a next time for camping… whenever the weather decides to cooperate.  Its a good time to hiberate.  On the news they just announced  that after the Iowa Presidential causcuses on Monday night, we’re expecting as much as a foot of snow.  Oh joy!

Take care and thanks for visiting and commenting!  Happy and safe travels always!

Bradford, Jesse James, and Jennifer
Jones County, Iowa

14 Responses to Ever Had a Hurts Donut?

I hope Jen Jen feels better soon. In central Ohio, we’ve only had one isolated snow day so far. The donuts look sooooo good…and so do those kabobs! Take care of the little kitty. I know you’re a good pet parent and will take her to the vet if it’s anything serious.

Thanks for the note. I’m probably going to take her in tomorrow morning just in case there is anything to make her more comfortable and speed up recovery. We’ve got some great vets and Dr. Lisa takes good care of the furballs. Thanks for the note!

Poor little kitty. Did you take her to a vet? My cat got sick right after I adopted him and I had to get some meds for him from the shelter (they weren’t surprised to hear about that, it was “going around”). He got over it quickly with the meds.

There’s also a variety of “dog flu” going around; there’s even a vaccine for it. I don’t know if it’s something cats can get but it might be worth looking into.

Here on the East Coast we had our share of snow last weekend. I guess I shouldn’t complain because it was the first time we’d had anything measurable all winter but still – a few inches would have been preferable to a couple of feet. It takes a really long time to melt here too so I expect to be riding my bike carefully and with lots of detours for several weeks.

I hope Jen-Jen feels better soon and that you all have a lovely weekend.

Thanks Meg. I will likely take her tomorrow morning to see if they can give her a broad spectrum antibiotic and maybe a small steroid injection. She’ll have the best of care and love. Thanks for the note! 🙂

Sure hope miss Jen gets well soon. Poor little girl.
    Those donuts look soooo good. I love them but they don’t love me back. Kabobs on the other had love me just as much as I love them.

Thanks for the note, Jo. She’s had some ups and downs today and is resting now. It looks like she’s perking up again. I hear ya about the kabobs. They really hit the spot and would be fun to take along camping. Oh, those donuts are awesome but golly do they mess up the sugars. 🙂

4. Debby hoots says:

Be very careful…kitty may have an upper respiratory infection and needs antibiotics……can be hard to get over unless treated. Get well kitty.

Hi Debby. I took her to the vet this morning and she had a fever of 104.2 We’ve got her on a fever reducer, broad spectrum antibiotic, and fluids. Being a Princess, she growled at the vet tech a few times saying “Do not touch me.” When that didn’t work, she bit the vet tech… Oh, torties are fiesty! Thanks for the note.

5. shadowmoss says:

Poor Jen Jen, poor vet tech. Too bad we can’t communicate to the furbabies that we are all just trying to help them. Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks for the kind words. I’d just fried up a small (half pound) hamburger using a new “steak weight” that Sis gave me (cast iron with handle – looks almost like an old clothes iron). Jen was pretty interested in a few bites of well-done hamburger. She will tolerate McDonalds but goes nuts over the fresh ground stuff. Jen seems to be doing a little better this afternoon. The poor thing has had a time of it. Only time will tell. It’s hard to say what happened. Take care!

6. Danny in Thomasville, GA says:

Glad you got Jen medical(vet) attention. Seeing all those donuts makes me wanna go to grocery store bakery and buy a dozen! Kabobs looks great, even before cooking. I thought about vanning(camping) Wednesday, but we got rain coming next week.
    If ya bump into Mr. Trump, please shake his hand for me. I used to go to a firing range and plink away with a .22 rifle. Cheap and fun, even if it does have a small scope. Hummm..I wonder if Publix would have any cherry pies?!!..lol…hopefully Jen will be feeling good tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the note, Danny. The little kitty is making a very speedy recovery, sassing me for working when she wanted fed. She sure had me worried. Cats are amazingly resilient. So is Mr. Trump! I certainly would like to shake his hand. He has contributed a lot to the political process whether a person likes him or not. 😀

I hear ya about the vanning. It would be nice to do some camping… Unfotunately we’re looking at a major snowstorm that’s taking shape over parts of Iowa for Tuesday. It’s looking like trout country is going to get clobbered but our area might only see a couple of inches. That can change though…

Take care! Happy Vanning!

7. Ken says:

Dude,
    Hope your cat Jen feels well soon. I had a cat, well actually the cat let me live in its house. Hise name was Fatso for good reason and he liked fighting with squirrels, those tree rats carry nasty germs. Really nasty germs. Twice in ten years Fatso fell ill, totally limp but still fought horribly to get him in a box to take him to a vet. massive doses of antibiotics brought him back. I miss that Augaphyle.

Thanks for the note, Ken. I just got off work and Jen has made a pretty fast recovery – quite a surprise. It’s amazing how resilient animals can be. She went into a “shutdown mode” while getting better. It had me a nervous wreck. Sometimes I think cats and dogs are better at recuperating than we are! 😀