Hello and welcome to the blog today. With a day off, I decided to start working on a new Dutch door (top and bottom panels open independently) for the van. The bottom was the first part to be worked on.
At first I thought about a square hole or arch… but where’s the fun in that? I decided a cat opening should look like a cat. A quick internet search yielded a cat pattern with promise! I just needed to enlarge it a bit… or put Jennifer on a fast diet.
The next step was to print out the picture from the computer, glue it to poster board, and glue that to the wood.
In blowing up the photo, I lost the ears and tail… so a little improvising was necessary. Then I let the pattern dry to the wood.
I used a good quality 3/4 inch sanded birch plywood panel from The Home Depot. I think it was about $30 for 24″ x 48″. You get what you pay for.
If you notice that the opening is a bit above the bottom, that is by design. It should maintain strength and reduce warping by not cutting the bottom edge.
That’s about it for now. By this weekend I will likely get the bottom door mounted but might have to use the stealth curtain for the top part until it is completed. Camping is still planned for this weekend. I’d like to visit a museum, a grist mill, and a different campground.
In any case, this was a really enjoyable project to complete. I hope Jennifer uses the passage in the future!
Thanks for visiting. Safe and happy travels always!
Brad and Jennifer
Jones County, Iowa
218 total views, 3 views today