It’s Going to be a Good Friday!

A good message for everyone.  The M4M at the bottom refers to “Moving for Maggie”.  Maggie is a high school student who was critically injured in a car accident a few weeks ago.  She is a runner at the local high school.  Our community is pulling for her!

Hi and welcome to the blog!  So much has transpired since the last update.  It is heartbreaking to hear about the many deaths due to the Coronavirus.  From the sounds of things, the urban areas are by far the hardest hit — we are seeing it in Iowa as well.

The map above shows where I live in Jones County (the “X”).  Immediately to the west is Linn County (Cedar Rapids).  Below it is Johnson County, the location of the University of Iowa hospital in Iowa City.  To the south, in Washington County the virus spread quickly at a senior care facility.  Problems exist in basically all the other metropolitan areas in Iowa.

To put it in perspective, Linn County is about 1.5 times the size of Jones… but has 11 times the population and 27 times the number of COVID19 cases! The effects are far less pronounced in the rural northeast Iowa counties.

In the map above I circled part of “Trout Country” not far from home.  When the weather improves, the plan is to be fishing northern Delaware County (just north of here).  That region has smaller towns, many farms and open areas, and few places for the pandemic to take hold.  It’s one of the safest places to visit, providing all the essentials are packed for the trip and minimal human contact occurs.

The playground near my home is closed.  Now kids just wander in the streets on their scooters.  There’s no lockdown so they’re still gonna play!

There is still discussion about campgrounds.  The DNR says all state park campgrounds are closed.  Today it sounded like the Governor said they are not closed… On the upside, I know lots of little pull-offs, wildlife management areas, etc. where a person can park for a night while the state figures out what to do.  Have van.. will camp!

Steve parked next to me and socializing.. at a social distance!

Tonight I met up with Buddy Steve at McDonald’s and chatted for an hour.  During that time, friends Dale and Sharon texted.  They were delivering homemade banana cake bars to their pals.  We enjoyed the company and the dessert!  It is so good to have friends like these during difficult times.

Overall, very little has changed.  With a diminished work schedule I’m at home a little more and cooking new dishes… and gaining a little weight.  Work (fast food) has been fairly busy.  Though we recently remodeled the lobby, nobody can use it.  Drive-thru and carryout are currently the only options.  But our regulars are loyal.  One-by-one today the old timers came through, got their “senior coffees” and parked their pickup trucks in the lot to chat.  I said it looked like we were going to have a “rumble.”

Jenny kissing her cat-faced Dad.

Tomorrow is Good Friday and, of course, Sunday is Easter.   It’s a great chance for we Christians to think about the Resurrection of Jesus and give thanks for the faith to get through these trying times!  I know that without believing in Heaven and Salvation, I’d be a wreck right now!

I hope everyone is safe and healthy and can enjoy some quality time with their families.  God bless everyone including our President, other leaders, healthcare workers, essential workers, and those peers who help keep the food moving and the people fed.

Take care and thanks for visiting!

Brad and Jenny and Duke
Jones County, Iowa

594 total views,  1 views today

8 Responses to It’s Going to be a Good Friday!

1. Deborah says:

I finally got it to load. Haven’t been able to read your posts. Glad you are ok…STAY THAT WAY . I’m in the high risk group so we are no contact here. Being cooped up with hubby’s manic personality isn’t easy . I pray something good happens soon , one way or the other . We’re in a small town in central Illinois., But it’s spreading in the near by towns. The bigger the city, the more spreading. You have a happy Easter day♥️

Hi Debby! I am sorry that the blog has been loading so slowly. I upgraded the hosting plan and GoDaddy has been slower than ever. 🙁

I understand about the health concerns. Between being diabetic and having lung issues it’s kind of scary.

Take care and enjoy every day to the fullest! I believe things will approach normal very soon. Happy Easter!

2. Jo Harmon says:

I had to make a break for the store since the last Walmart delivery was a disaster. Who knew this virus was going to last this long. I also had to have my A/C cleaned up but that went off without a hitch the guy is great and he followed the guidelines of safe distancing. After he left I got my mask and a couple of pair of gloves and headed to Safeway. I couldn’t believe how many people were in the store and not many wearing masks. So I headed for what I needed and gladly they had just about everything I needed. But of course no disenfecting supplies. So I took off the old gloves and rubbed them down with sanitizer and put them in a plastic bag and went next door to Family Dollar, put on new gloves and found some Pine Sol, alcohol Lysol towlet cleaner that I can always use to disenfect counters or what ever else. Cleaned all the items outside and brought them the house. Put all the plastic bags into one and left it outside. I hope I can get throw at least another month now.
    Easter I am going to make me a french toast breakfast I found on the internet. And yes gaining weight 🙁
    Take care Brad be well

Hi Jo,

That breakfast sounds delicious! It had been years since I’d eaten French toast and it’s yummy! I might have to do that on the next trip.

The stores here have been in pretty good shape sans 409 or other cleaning fluids. At least it’s been nice to get some housework done.

I agree that this virus has really hung on here. People are still worried in town. Two ladies chewed me out for not wearing a mask in the drive-thru.

Well take care! Duke laid his paw on my leg and got my intention. Time to go to work. Take care and hang in there! Happy Easter!

3. Dorothy Barnett says:

Brad,

So glad to read your post and thank you for making my day. I haven’t read your blog in a long time and it lifts my heart to know you are well and still camping. I hope you know what a difference your posts mean to people. They mean alot to me. Be safe out there and lets plan for better days!

Hi! It’s got to get better some time one would think! We had a huge cell outage and internet blackout so I’m at the other end of the count having a soda and catching up! Thank you for the kind words! I am more determined than ever to get in some fishing and stealth camping this weekend. Take care… VT

I like how you customized your mask. I wore a “as seen on Facebook” homemade bandana mask to the grocery store today. It was so uncomfortable and so thick that I could hardly breathe. Most other shoppers were wearing masks of some kind. I stocked up for another two weeks of isolation. Looks like my summer camping trip to Iowa may be canceled due to Coronavirus. If it’s not one thing, it’s another! Stay at home as you are able. With your asthma and diabetes, please don’t take any chances.

Hi! Soon we are going to have to wear masks and gloves to hand out good to customers. I say fast food isn’t essential and asked to have my hours cut. It’s not worth the risk. I understand about delaying the trio, for sure! Take good care! Stay safe! VT